Upward Bound participants find their academic careers and social lives enriched by Saturday Academies, college visits, and special activities scheduled throughout the academic year. In addition, Upward Bound sponsors an annual six-week, on campus summer residential program for its members.
Upward Bound provides high school students with the skills needed to succeed. Through academic tutoring, the Upward Bound program assists participants with their high school studies and encourages them to pursue a college education. During Saturday Academies, tutors help students learn basic study skills that will aid them in their current courses. Tutors also monitor students' academic progress as they advance towards graduation. On selected Saturdays, students, tutors, and counselors meet for half-day workshops in career planning, college prep, financial literacy and study skills.
The Upward Bound program provides instruction in math, laboratory science, composition, literature, and foreign languages. The program also helps in reading, writing, study skills, and other subjects necessary for success in education beyond high school. Academic, financial, and personal counseling are also available and are provided when necessary. By offering various academic programs and cultural experiences, the program helps expose students to the vast opportunities that lie outside our Northwest Missouri communities.
What else do we offer?
- Academic, Career, and Personal Counseling
- Information on Colleges and Career Opportunities
- Leadership Training and Development Opportunities
- Assistance in Completing College Entrance and Financial Aid Applications
- Assistance in Preparing for the ACT Test and College Entrance Exams
- Work Study Positions to Expose Students to Careers Requiring a Post-Secondary Degree
- Assistance with Scholarships and Dual Credit Expenses
- Travel to a Variety of College and University Campuses around the Midwest
Who gets accepted into Upward Bound?
Participants in the program are selected according to their potential for academic success. Students are recruited from target schools in the Northwest Missouri area. There are approximately 80 active student participants in our program and they are selected from the following list of area high schools:
- King City
- Northeast Nodaway
- Rock Port
- West Nodaway
Upward Bound is a federal grant program funded annually by the United States Department of Education for $358,086.00.